Illegal recruiters abound in the Philippines. They are everywhere, lying in wait to catch their next victims. Many stories have been told of Filipinos job seekers who dream of greener pastures and better future abroad but were left with nothing but broken promises, unfulfilled dreams and debts to pay. Victims of illegal recruitment is ever increasing. The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) has thus come up with some tips on how to prevent illegal recruitment to guide Filipino citizens seeking employment abroad. These tips are called –
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS AGAINST ILLEGAL RECRUITERS
1. Do not apply at recruitment agencies not licensed by POEA. (Read: How to Verify if a Recruitment Agency is Licensed or Not)
2. Do not deal with licensed agencies without job orders.
3. Do not deal with any person who is not an authorized representative of a licensed agency.
4. Do not transact business outside the registered address of the agency. If recruitment is conducted in the province, check if the agency has a provincial recruitment authority.
5. Do not pay more than the allowed placement fee. It should be equivalent to one month salary, exclusive of documentation and processing costs.
6. Do not pay any placement fee unless you have a valid employment contract and an official receipt.
7. Do not be enticed by ads or brochures requiring you to reply to a Post Office (P.O.) Box, and to enclose payment for processing of papers.
9. Do not accept a tourist visa.
10. Do not deal with fixers.
These guidelines are not hard to follow nor are they complex. Keep these in mind to avoid being victimized by illegal recruiters. Protect yourself and your hard-earned money. Do not be immediately fooled by attractive offers. It always pays to be wise and prudent.